A Bit About Me

Hello! My name is Elizabeth “Ashley” Corley. I am a junior at the University of South Alabama with a major in Secondary Education and English. Upon first entering college, I pursued a major in pharmacy-that is until chemistry slapped me in the face! It was then that I realized I was pursuing a career that was untrue to my heart. True enough, the salary would have been marvelous, but I have wanted to be a teacher nearly all my life. I can think back to many instances when I lined up all of my stuffed animals, took roll by calling each of their “names” aloud, and taught them a special lesson. It is much more important to me to spend the rest of my life doing something that I love rather than doing something merely for the money. I love to teach, I love to inspire, and I am quit good at it. For that, I will make a positive and significant impact on my future students while I am doing what I love.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Podcasts

Before taking this class, I had no earthly idea what a podcast was. I am so thankful for this class and the many things it, and Ms. Averitt, has taught me. Ms. Averitt required us to listen to some podcasts, and the one thing that I noticed a lot while listening to the various podcasts is how conversational the tone was. Podcasts are not so much as a stern, "Hey you! Listen to me teach or lecture!" It was a very calm and normal tone as they gave their insights and useful information. There were funny points that made you laugh, as well as points when you pull your paper and pen out and write down the information being dished out. The host(s) spoke clearly and intelligently and the information was ready and accurate.

Many students, especially during the middle and high school years, listen to iPods, Mp3 players, or some form of a music player with headphones. We, as educators and/or parents, can support the use of these digital music players by giving the students something educational to listen to-podcasts. As a future English and Grammar teacher, I found the podcasts Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing and Get-It-Done Guy very informative, and equally interesting, podcasts. I will require my students to subscribe to the podcasts in the iTunes store, since it’s free, and have them post daily responses or I may just simply add the link to my blog and my students can listen to the podcast from there.

No comments: