A Bit About Me

Hello! My name is Elizabeth “Ashley” Corley. I am a junior at the University of South Alabama with a major in Secondary Education and English. Upon first entering college, I pursued a major in pharmacy-that is until chemistry slapped me in the face! It was then that I realized I was pursuing a career that was untrue to my heart. True enough, the salary would have been marvelous, but I have wanted to be a teacher nearly all my life. I can think back to many instances when I lined up all of my stuffed animals, took roll by calling each of their “names” aloud, and taught them a special lesson. It is much more important to me to spend the rest of my life doing something that I love rather than doing something merely for the money. I love to teach, I love to inspire, and I am quit good at it. For that, I will make a positive and significant impact on my future students while I am doing what I love.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Making the Classroom Interesting & Relatable

Many students, like myself, are more of a visual learner and can learn much easier when the material is and interesting and easy to relate to. When I think of my most influential teacher or class, I always think back to my high school Biology teacher, Dr. Merida. Dr. Merida understood that everyone might not love Biology like he did, and he understood that it may not come as easy to us as it was to him to understand and retain the material. So he always implemented interesting interactive activities and PowerPoint lectures that were specific to the subject matter. He was so good at making the class exciting and pleasurable. No one student came out of the class with less than a “B” average, and I literally, to this very day, remember most of the information I learned in his class. It even helped me as I took Biology 101 with Professor Delany.

Dr. Merida is the perfect example of how a teacher can make material exciting, relatable, and interactive for the students-learning while having fun. As an educator, I will do my best to make my class interesting, as Dr. Merida did for me and many others, and apply useful and supplemental classroom activities and materials crucial to my students’ education.

No comments: